Thursday, June 22, 2006

Achilles knee.

So. Things are not too good here in pollyland tonight. My job is causing everyone a lot of grief as we figure out (too late, always a little too late) that MMC's resignation was just a feint. In three months time most of the board come up for re-election. She's been busily phoning members and campaigning. There's a little delegation clamouring about the financial management. She wants in again, in a blaze of righteous mandate.

God that's an utterly depressing prospect.

The other bad thing is that at bellydance tonight our knee caved completely.

After weeks/months of knee pain (actually - it's been six months now since the original injury - which happenned while the body was under my care, at *sigh* a first aid class I took for work) and knee problems we did ~something~ to it tonight that might be good or might be bad. It's hard to tell at the moment. We were dancing, vigorously. Figure 8s in the vertical plane. One of Calypso's favourite moves. There was a truly disgusting sound. A sort of thhhhwwwwock! and down we went. Lucky it happenned at the end of the class, and the class was small - Zil and Bonnie (with her beautiful baby) and gentle. They were so beautiful, dancing around me as I lay on the floor dealing with the immediate pain of dis/re location. After a few minutes I got my composure back and checked it over for breaks and damage and felt very strange about it - very strange - and certain that despite the horrible sound and the awful pain involved it was actually returning to it's pre injury placement.

I need to see a doctor and cancel dance for at least two weeks. It it has re-located I need to give it time to heal in its correct position. If it's taken a new, second injury then I guess I may need some ideas about how to deal with it. My instinct is that this is a helpful experience though it is extremely painful and I am very, very scared.

Things in favour of it being a helpful 'injury' (ie. not an injury, but a corrective shift):
~ there is pain, but there is also relief from the electric-pinched nerve kind of pain we've been carrying for months. The relief is tangible. My knee actually feels better as well as worse.
~ the knee looks correctly placed in relation to the other
~ pushing my fingers into the side of it no longer causes insane electric type tingling.
~ the pain I AM experiencing feels very familiar - like bruising and sprain - not alien and electric.
~ Calypso reckons it's okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home